Search

Church of St John the Baptist

Kostelní nám.
Šumperk, 787 01

The decanal originally Gothic church of basilica type dates from the early history of Šumperk town. Similar to the monastery Church of the Annunciation, it was devastated by fire in 1669, subsequently remodelled on the ground plan of the Roman cross and provided with Baroque façade and interior furnishings. The church tower was originally owned by the municipality which had a guard room, jail and treasury in it. Kept in the church are relics of St Theodore, the patron saint of the town, the interior is decorated with frescos by Master Ignác Oderlický, paintings with Šumperk vedutas and carved coats of arms.
 
 


DSC 0838
IMG 8450
 
 

Sdružení historických sídel
Čech, Moravy a Slezska

Opletalova ulice 29
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

phone: +420 224 237 558
phone/fax: +420 224 213 166
mail: info@shscms.cz
www.shscms.cz
www.ehd.cz

Office hours:
Mo - Th: 8.00-16.00
Fr: 8.00-14.00

 
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022
load