Search

Chapel of St Rochus

bez čp
Uherské Hradiště, 686 01

The monument is accessible for free

Monument will be open:
11.9.2021 from 14:00 to 18:00 hours
12.9.2021 from 9:00 to 17:00 hours

An individual tour of this monument can follow a visit to the Rochus Open Air Museum.

Responsible person
Name: Vítězslav
Family name: Šilha
Phone: 604 962 894
The chapel was built on a hill above the Mařatice vineyards in the late 17th century as an expression of gratitude for averted plague epidemic, which hit Hradiště in 1680. Under emperor Joseph II it was deconsecrated and turned into gunpowder store of the local garrison. The municipality later purchased the chapel to restore its original purpose, it was consecrated again in 1931 and became a pilgrimage site. In 2007 the municipality took it over from the parish again and in 2009 commissioned a renovation which included archaeological research. The uncovered foundations of an original church, of which the chapel has been preserved, have been marked on the ground by a low wall. Access is by a staircase on the site where the tower had been.
 
 

It was built thanks to the plague, which had afflicted Hradiště in 1680, being  averted. 

kaple sv.  Rocha
 
 

Sdružení historických sídel
Čech, Moravy a Slezska

Opletalova ulice 29
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

phone: +420 224 237 558
phone/fax: +420 224 213 166
mail: info@shscms.cz
www.shscms.cz
www.ehd.cz

Office hours:
Mo - Th: 8.00-16.00
Fr: 8.00-14.00

 
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022
load