Search

Synagogue (Chapel of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church)

Perštýnská 751
Lipník nad Bečvou, 751 31

The monument is accessible for free

Monument will be open: 18.9.2021 from 10:00 to 16:00 hours

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., grammar school students will be at the monument to provide information, distribute leaflets, invite to accompanying events and supervise the observance of the monument's rules and regulations.

Responsible person
Name: Šárka
Family name: Hánečková
Phone: 581722251
Built in the 1520s or 1530s, it is the oldest synagogue in Moravia and after the Old New Synagogue in Prague the second oldest in the Czech Republic. The main hall has Gothic net brick vaulting. Since 1945, the owner is the Czechoslovak Hussite Church. The building was altered several times, most extensively in 1948-50 when it was turned into the Prince of Peace Chapel. The most notable adornments of the interior are the sculptures of Moses, Jesus and Jan Hus, by sculptor Vladimír Navrátil from Velký Újezd. In one section the wall is 170 cm thick.
 
 

The synagogue is situated at an end of the so-called Jewish street in the southwest corner of the historic town, closely attached to the town walls. It was built in the 1520s or 1530s, shortly after the walls. It is the oldest preserved synagogue in Moravia, and after the Old New Synagogue in Prague the second oldest in the Czech Republic.

The first written reference dates from 1540, when James the Cross-eyed Jew reportedly bought a cottage “in a corner opposite the Jewish school“ (i.e. synagogue). The Jewish community probably had its house of prayer already in the 2nd half of the 15th century. 

The main hall has 16th century vault with brick ribs in the late Gothic style, it is strikingly similar to the architecture of the Gothic hall of the Old Town Hall in the nearby town of Hranice, which is dated from1528. The wall on the exterior north side of the synagogue is 170 cm thick. The Lipník synagogue has been restyled many times: in 1607-8 it was extended with the addition of a two-storey north wing, in the 1870s with a south wing. 

During World War II the synagogue was devastated by the Nazis, the Jewish community of Lipník ceased to exist. Thus, after the war  the Jewish religious community sold the synagogue for 40 thousand Czechoslovak crowns to the Czechoslovak Hussite Church, which adapted it in 1949-50 for the purpose of its divine services, to the design by architect Josef Dvorský, and it serves this purpose to this day. The adaptation considerably wiped off the original appearance of the site, the entrances from the east side were closed and moved to the north and south walls. On the east side,  from Pernštýnská Street, both side wings were shortened by about 1.5 metres. In line with the medieval requirements for the construction of synagogues, the level of the floor of the hall is lower than Pernštýnská Street. The synagogue changes in the course of time are documented by period photographs on display in the lobby.

The present-day interior of the chapel features larger-than-life reliefs of Moses, Jesus and Jan Hus, works by academic sculptor Vladimír Navrátil from nearby Velký Újezd.

The present owner of the building is the Religious Community of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church in Lipník nad Bečvou, at Pernštýnská Street no.751, priest  Alena Milová and President of the Elders‘ Board Jindřiška Boucníková.

synagoga dnes
dnešní Sbor Knížete míru
gotická klenba s cihlovými žebry
interiér synagogy
čelní stěna
vypleněný interiér těsně po roce 1945
Memento
 
 

Sdružení historických sídel
Čech, Moravy a Slezska

Opletalova ulice 29
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

phone: +420 224 237 558
phone/fax: +420 224 213 166
mail: info@shscms.cz
www.shscms.cz
www.ehd.cz

Office hours:
Mo - Th: 8.00-16.00
Fr: 8.00-14.00

 
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022
load