Search

Parish Church of St James Major

Křížkovského
Lipník nad Bečvou, 751 31

The monument is accessible for free

Monument will be open: 18.9.2021 from 10:00 to 16:00 hours

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., grammar school students will be at the monument to provide information, distribute leaflets, invite to accompanying events and supervise the observance of the monument's rules and regulations. After visiting the interior of the church, it is possible to climb the tower with a view.

Responsible person
Name: Šárka
Family name: Hánečková
Phone: 581722251
Parish church, originally Gothic, height added to the tower with a Renaissance gallery, Baroque restyling of the church in 1765-66, furnishings date mostly from that period. Sculptures by Gottfried Fritsch and Václav Böhm, the painting of St James Major is by Jan Jiří Frömmel from 1810. The side chapels open to the church with two vaulted arches on each side. On the right is the Chapel of the Annunciation with a wooden altar and rococo columns. Opposite is the Chapel of St Barbara, dominated by an altar with the Saint’s portrait and a Baroque tabernacle.
 
 

The church, originally probably Romanesque, was reconstructed in the Gothic style by Lacek of Kravaře probably before 1400. In 1596, the tower received additional height with a Renaissance arcaded gallery and dome on the top. In 1604, the municipality commissioned a new big bell, Michael, but it could not be hung in the tower. This is why Lipník purchased the Šmic house in 1609 and built a massive free-standing bell tower in its place, where Michael, as well as the bells from the church tower, dated from 1464 and 1578, were hung. In 1613 the church was devastated by fire but repaired in the same year, including the roof of its tower. The Chapel of St Barbara was built in 1693 and the Chapel of the Virgin Mary was extended in 1694. In the 1760s the church was extensively redesigned and remodelled in the Baroque style, with the participation of František Antonín Grimm. After another fire in 1788, the tower received a pyramidal roof and the cupolas of the side chapels were removed. The tower gallery surrounds the room of the watchman from all sides.

The furnishings, involving work by sculptors Gottfried Fritsch and Václav Böhm, date mostly from the 1760s, when the church received its Baroque appearance. The portrait of St James Major, from 1810, is by Jan Jiří Frömmel. The two side altars are decorated with reliefs, the one on the left depicts the throwing of St John of Nepomuk into the Vltava River, it is  flanked by Baroque statues of St Wenceslas and St Florian. In a niche in the middle is the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes. Opposite is the altar of St Francis Xavier showing the apostle of the Indies dying in a deserted hut, and the statues of the patron saints against the plague Sts Sebastian and Rosalie, standing by a column. In the altar niche is a sculpture of the Sacré-Coeur. Inscriptions above the reliefs appeal to believers to ORATE – VIGILATE (pray and watch). The side chapels open to the church with two vaulted arches on each side. 

On the right is the Chapel of the Annunciation with a wooden altar and rococo columns. The painting is the work of the local retired headmaster František Novotník. At the top is an oval painting of St Francis Seraph. The altar is flanked by the statues on consoles of St Joseph with Baby Jesus and St Francis. The other part is formed by the Chapel of the Holy Cross, which contains an altar with a beautiful large cross and the statues of Virgin Mary and St John and the statues of Sts Cyril and Methodius.

Opposite is the Chapel of St Barbara, dominated by the altar of the Saint and a Baroque tabernacle. The architecture of the altar is unusual, it is possible to walk around it. At this site, the glorious Brotherhood of St Barbara used to hold their divine services with offertory. Another part is the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows - Pieta, with the statues of St John and St Mary Magdalene on the sides. At Christmas, the Nativity scene is displayed in this chapel, and at Easter the Holy Sepulchre is presented here.

farní kostel sv. Jakuba Většího
centrum s kostelem
ze severozápadní strany
z meditační zahrady
hlavní oltář
kúr a varhany
varhany
boční kaple Bolestné Panny Marie s Pietou
boční kaple sv  Barbory
boční kaple sv  Kříže
boční kaple Zvěstování Panny Marie
 
 

Sdružení historických sídel
Čech, Moravy a Slezska

Opletalova ulice 29
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

phone: +420 224 237 558
phone/fax: +420 224 213 166
mail: info@shscms.cz
www.shscms.cz
www.ehd.cz

Office hours:
Mo - Th: 8.00-16.00
Fr: 8.00-14.00

 
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022
load