Divadlo Lampion - KladnoDivadlo Lampion - Kladno
Městské muzeum ČáslavMěstské muzeum Čáslav
Muzeum ve ŠlapanicíchMuzeum ve Šlapanicích
Park Cibulka - Praha 5Park Cibulka - Praha 5

Search

Monastery Church of St Francis Seraph

Bratrská
Lipník nad Bečvou, 751 31

The monument is accessible for free

Monument will be open: 18.9.2021 from 10:00 to 16:00 hours

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., students from the grammar school will be at the monument to provide information, hand out leaflets, invite to accompanying events and supervise the observance of the monument's rules and regulations. Organ preludes will make the tour of the church even more enjoyable. 

Responsible person
Name: Šárka
Family name: Hánečková
Phone: 581722251
Originally evangelical church. In 1682-1687 the church, already dedicated to St Francis Seraph, was remodelled by the Piarists (invited by Cardinal Dietrichstein) to the design by Viennese Imperial architect Giovanni Pietro Tencalla, a representative of early Baroque in Central Europe.
 
 

A Renaissance evangelical church was built on the site of an old evangelical chapel in 1590-1593, with funds from the lords of the Lipník demesne. Surviving from the original structure is the layout of the church, including the peripheral walls of the presbytery with the supporting pillars, the presbytery vault, later adapted, and two towers, the northern one decorated with columned arcades adorned with a balustrade. This building may have been designed by the well-known master-builder Baltassare Maggi from Arogna, Italy.

In 1682-1687 the church, already dedicated to St Francis Seraph, was remodelled by the Piarists (invited by Cardinal Dietrichstein) to a design by Viennese Imperial architect Giovanni Pietro Tencalla, a representative of early Baroque in Central Europe. Two chapels, one on each side of the church, were added subsequently. One of the chapels, of the founder of the Piarist Order, St Joseph Calasanctius, received a typical early Baroque dome with ornamentation. In 1697 the presbytery and the college were connected with the sacristy. After 1766, the interior was decorated with frescos by painter Josef František Pilz from Olomouc. His wall paintings are specially notable for their iconography, they represent the popular Piarist theme, the Mysteries of the Rosary cycle. The upper band features the five Joyful and five Sorrowful Marian Mysteries, the lower band presents the four famous Mysteries of the Rosary. In 1769, the same painter provided the paintings of St Joseph Calasanctius and a small painting The Death of St Joseph for the side chapel. In the Marian Chapel is a wooden altar of Our Lady of Sorrows.

Probably one of the oldest parts of the furnishings is the organ case with the figure of a flying angel, dating from the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. It is adorned with winged heads and figures of singing and playing angels, with the central motif of a timpanist, at the top a pair of angels hold the symbol of the Piarist Order.

The painting on the main altar from 1729, a signed work by Gottfried Herbert, depicts St Francis of Assisi, above it a sculptural group of the Coronation of the Virgin. The side altars feature, in the north, a painting of St Dominic with St Clare paying tribute to the Madonna with Child, in the south the main painting, by the same unknown author, of St Sebastian and St Irene removing arrows out of his body.

The monumental entrance gate to the church and the complex of Piarist buildings, in the surrounding wall, was designed in 1757, with the support of Terezie Čabáková, by the Dietrichsteins' builder František Antonín Grimm. It is topped by the sculptural group The Apparition of St Teresa to St Joseph Calasanctius. The gate, with a semicircular arch filled by a wrought-iron Baroque lattice, is ornamented with pilasters on the sides and by a pair of decorative vases above the cornice. It depicts St Teresa at the moment of her apparition, accompanied by an angel, to St Joseph Calasanctius. The artistic value of this statue reaches beyond the framework of mid-18th century Moravia.

The church has one tower with arcades adorned with a balustrade, but the original design was for a pair of identical towers. However, only one - the north - tower was built with the columned arcades, the other - the low south tower was never built to the intended height, apparently because of a lack of funding. The uncompleted one can be seen well from the chateau courtyard and the monastery garden.

klášterní kostel
od vstupní brány
brána ke kostelu
koncert1
koncert2
koncert3
varhany
ze zámeckého nádvoří
 
 

Sdružení historických sídel
Čech, Moravy a Slezska

Opletalova ulice 29
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

phone: +420 224 237 558
phone/fax: +420 224 213 166
mail: info@shscms.cz
www.shscms.cz
www.ehd.cz

Office hours:
Mo - Th: 8.00-16.00
Fr: 8.00-14.00

 
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022
load