Search

Synagogue - Heřmanův Městec

Havlíčkova ul. 809
Heřmanův Městec, 538 03

Monument will be open:
10.9.2022 to 11.9.2022: from 9:00 to 12:00 hours, from 13:00 to 16:00 hours

In Heřmanův Městec, in the Chrudim district, in the Pardubice Region, Jewish settlement had a very long tradition. The first references to Jews in Heřmanův Městec and its surroundings begin to appear in historical sources from the 15th century. A very well-preserved Jewish cemetery is documented from 1667. The next boom of Jewish settlement in Heřmanův Městec was in 1686. In that year, a plague epidemic cut down a large number of local inhabitants, so the owner of the estate, Count Ferdinand Leopold Spork, invited Jews to settle the empty houses. The Jewish house of prayer changed its location and surroundings several times over the years. The oldest prayer house of the Jews of Hermanův Městec stood in the original Jewish quarter in today's Pokorný Street. After the fires in the 17th century, the Jewish population was relocated to today's Havlíčkova Street. In 1760 they built a baroque synagogue there, which was rebuilt in 1870 into the present Neo-Romanesque building. The author of the plans was the architect František Schmoranz. A few years earlier, there was also a Jewish school building adjacent to the synagogue. The school operated in the building until its closure in 1909. It was also the official place and apartment of the regional rabbi. On the first floor level it was connected by a covered balcony corridor with the women's gallery of the synagogue. Services were held in the synagogue until World War II. After the beginning of the occupation, religious services were banned. The equipment of the synagogue was taken to the collection of objects in the Jewish Museum in Prague. The tablets of the Ten Commandments were removed from the synagogue's gable. During the war, the synagogue was used as a warehouse. Since 1949, the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren used its premises for religious purposes. The synagogue and later the Jewish school building gradually fell into disrepair. The connecting corridor between them was demolished in 1952. The school and the synagogue were bought from the Czech Brethren Church by the town in the mid-1980s. At the turn of the millennium, both buildings were beautifully renovated and are used for cultural purposes. As part of the reconstruction, the connecting balcony corridor between the gallery in the synagogue and the first floor of the former Jewish school was restored. The tablets of the Ten Commandments were returned to the gable of the synagogue and the Hebrew text of an old psalm was restored on the front wall. The wooden tabernacle, the wooden women's gallery and the ornamental decoration have also been preserved. The building of the Jewish school now serves as a gallery.

Responsible person
Name: Dalimil
Family name: Nevečeřal
Phone: 777 797 141
The synagogue, designed by František Schmoranz, was built in 1870 and renovated in 2001.
 
 
Synagoga, židovský dvojdomek a bývalá židovská škola
Synagoga
 
 

Sdružení historických sídel
Čech, Moravy a Slezska

Opletalova ulice 29
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

phone: +420 224 237 558
phone/fax: +420 224 213 166
mail: info@shscms.cz
www.shscms.cz
www.ehd.cz

Office hours:
Mo - Th: 8.00-16.00
Fr: 8.00-14.00

 
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022
load