Search

Church of St Adalbert

Ledečská
Havlíčkův Brod, 580 01

The monument is accessible for free

Monument will be open: 17.9.2022 from 9:00 to 16:00 hours

The church was destroyed during some war events, as it stood outside the medieval city walls in the suburbs. The legend of St. Vojtěch is connected to the foundation of the church. It is said that he rested here during his journey from Bohemia and during his prayer a spring of miraculous water gushed out of the ground. In the Middle Ages, chapels dedicated to this saint were built in such places. At the beginning of the 20th century, the spring was still flowing near the church and a picture and a plaque with an inscription were placed on the adjacent building. However, the spring has disappeared over time. Today's building is Renaissance with late Gothic elements. The first written mention of it dates back to 1538. The church was surrounded by a wall with a Renaissance entrance gate, dated 1617. The enclosure wall contained the Stations of the Cross, several of which have survived to the present day. The cemetery's origins date back to the end of the 16th century. A charter issued by the then owner of the town, Martin, Count of Thurn, allowed the village to establish a "fort", later called the Tooth Gate, on the west side within the walls. "...in case of a fire in the suburbs, so that the fire could be quickly smothered and also so that in case of plague epidemics burials could be made here. The church of St. Vojtěch is an example of a simple church building in the suburbs (today's nave and presbytery). Its characteristic features are the gothic windows and portals, the roof gable of the north chancel is distinctive, and the vaulting of the nave and presbytery is remarkable. During further building modifications, the church was raised and the interior decorated with Renaissance ribbed star vaulting, a north hall with a floor and an oratory in the nave were added. At that time it was also decorated with wall frescoes by one of the painters at the court of Rudolf II. These were covered with paint during the Baroque period, but have recently been uncovered and restored. They depict scenes from the Old and New Testaments with moralistic themes. Further alterations to the church were made during the Baroque period and in the 19th century, and the damaged organ was replaced by a new one in 1887. At the end of the 20th century the windows were replaced according to the design of the academic painter Jan Exnar. The church includes the so-called old cemetery. It has been used for burials since the foundation of the church, but mainly during the epidemics (1680, 1694-1702, 1742-1775). After the abolition of all other cemeteries in the inner city (by order of Emperor Joseph II), it became the main city cemetery after 1783. During that time, many of the city's personalities were buried here (e.g. parents and daughter of K. Havlíček, his teacher V. Doubrava, the Weindenhofer family, the writer A. Jahodová-Kasalová and others), many monuments from the 19th century are protected. The cemetery was the final resting place not only of Catholics, but also of people of other faiths, e.g. Protestants and Jews. The old cemetery was used for burials until 1961. Funeral services were still held in the church in the 1950s. The church and the cemetery have been undergoing reconstruction in recent years. It is open to the public, and services and occasional cultural events are held in the church. Burials have recently resumed in the Old Cemetery.

Responsible person
Name: Dana
Family name: Myšičková
Phone: 569497109
The church stands on the site of an unknown 13th-century Gothic structure. Its original consecration to St Adalbert, its location at the river ford and archaeological finds (13th-century gravestone) prove that it was the oldest church in the town.
 
 


Kostel sv.  Vojtěcha
 
 

Sdružení historických sídel
Čech, Moravy a Slezska

Opletalova ulice 29
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

phone: +420 224 237 558
phone/fax: +420 224 213 166
mail: info@shscms.cz
www.shscms.cz
www.ehd.cz

Office hours:
Mo - Th: 8.00-16.00
Fr: 8.00-14.00

 
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022
load