Search

Monastery Church of the Holy Family

Štáflova
Havlíčkův Brod, 580 01

The monument is accessible for free

Monument will be open: 17.9.2022 from 9:00 to 16:00 hours

At the end of Horní Street, just outside the city walls, the massive building of the Augustinian monastery with the Church of the Holy Family catches the eye. Its construction dates back to the period after the Thirty Years' War and is connected with the violent recatholization of the originally Protestant town, damaged by war and natural disasters. The Order of the Barefoot Augustinians, originally from Rome, came to the Czech lands in the 17th century. The former Nemecký Brod became its third seat in the Czech Republic. The impoverished town resisted the begging order for a long time, and only in 1674 did it conclude a treaty with it and allow it to settle in the upper suburb behind the town walls. 

Near the present site, the religious originally built a temporary chapel and religious house in 1674, which served them until 1705. Between 1679 and 1733 a new Baroque church dedicated to the Holy Family and a one-storey monastery building were built. Several builders were involved in the construction - the eastern part with the presbytery was built by Gian Batista (probably from Chrudim) and the western part was built by Daniel Měnicky from Chrudim, the facade of the church is from the beginning of the 18th century - according to the design of the religious brother Filippo à Sancto Hermanno, who is also the author of the sculptures of the Holy Family. 

The Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre was added on the north side of the church in 1725 by the stonemason Julius Bauer according to the plan of the Prague builder A. V. Spannbrucker. Although it was a fashionable affair at the time, its architecture is unique, probably a copy of the image of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. The chapel is entered from the church through the altar of the Five Wounds of Christ. The church was repaired in 1731, 1760, and in 1888 the tower in the front of the church was taken down and replaced by a smaller tower over the gable. In the second half of the 20th century the church was gradually restored for the last time. A large garden belonged to the monastery, today there is a park and a school building on the site of the original garden. The monastery served more than twenty monks and after 1815 the grammar school was transferred here from the Hustiřanský House (today the brewery building). After the abolition of the Order by Joseph II, the Augustinians were replaced by Premonstratensians from Želiv and in 1885 the gymnasium came under state administration. 

The Baroque single-nave interior of the church dates from the first half of the 18th century. The sculptor Ignác Rohrbach from Chrudim made a distinctive stamp on it. He is the author of the main altar, which is dedicated to the Holy Family with a painting by Siard Nosecky, and the altar of the Five Wounds of Christ, which is a symbol of the Augustinian Order and there is only one example of it in Bohemia. The counterpart altar is dedicated to St. John of Nepomuk, from before the canonization of this Baroque saint (1709). The pulpit with figures of the Church Fathers also belongs to Rohrbach's work. The remaining two altars with statues of Augustinian saints are by Václav Kovanda. The fresco on the chancel from the 1840s is also interesting. The monastery was dissolved by Emperor Joseph II, then used for the purposes of the main school and the restored gymnasium. At the beginning of the 20th century the building was rebuilt for the needs of the state authorities and it still serves this purpose. Concerts and other cultural events are held in the monastery church, as well as occasional religious services.

Responsible person
Name: Dana
Family name: Myšičková
Phone: 569497109
Attracting attention at the end of Horní (Upper) Street is the massive structure of the Augustinian monastery with the Church of the Holy Family. It was built after the Thirty Years War, and is connected with the forcible recatholicisation of the originally Protestant town, ravaged by the war and natural disasters.
 
 


Klášterní kostel sv.  Rodiny
 
 

Sdružení historických sídel
Čech, Moravy a Slezska

Opletalova ulice 29
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

phone: +420 224 237 558
phone/fax: +420 224 213 166
mail: info@shscms.cz
www.shscms.cz
www.ehd.cz

Office hours:
Mo - Th: 8.00-16.00
Fr: 8.00-14.00

 
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022
load