Search

Church of St James Major

Boskovice

The church is first mentioned in archives in 1346, but its foundations date to earlier times. The late-Gothic structure, originally with three towers, suffered damage by several fires and subsequent adaptations. The rectangular main tower of the church with a clock and bells used to be 60 metres tall, now is 41 high and complemented with a small sanctus one. The church is open to the public only during worship.
 
 

History of the Church of St James Major in Boskovice

The first archive record of the church existence dates from 1346, but the foundations of the building as we know it today are believed to be of an earlier date. In essence it is a late-Gothic structure, originally with three towers. Its adaptation around 1500 was commissioned by lord of the demesne Ladislav Velen of Boskovice (1455-1520), one of the best educated aristocrats of his time, who resigned from high church positions in order to undertake the management of the family property. His building projects included churches in Boskovice and Chornice, Boskovice Town Hall and Moravská Třebová Chateau, his main residence. Documents exist on the church construction between 1498 and 1512, and dates 1501 and 1527 can be seen on the west portal. The nave was evidently vaulted in 1670-1679. The sacristy, with a three-part oratory erected above it, and two chapels were added in 1839. In 1845-1847, the church was remodelled in the style of romantic Gothic, probably under the direction of Johann Schroth Senior (consultation by Peter Nobile). The three-aisle structure was extended by the addition of the western façade with the organ loft. The dates on the outer buttress refer to the church renovations: Renovatum 1617, Et iterum (again) 1839, 1910, 1972.

The square main tower with a clock and bells was originally 60 metres and nowadays, after its damage by fire and adaptations, is 41 metres tall. The main entrance is decorated with a late-Gothic portal, there is a double gilded cross of Cyril and Methodius in the  gable and statues of the apostles (by sculptor Andreas Schroth) on the sides. The vault of the three-aisle hall-type church rests on eight profiled supporting columns of late-Gothic design, while the vaults themselves already are of Renaissance style (ornamented by stucco frames) . Built into the church walls are tombstones, of which specially interesting and of highest artistic value are the marble Renaissance tombstones of the first lords of Zástřizly, buried in the crypt. The church pavement is original, from 1719, the oak carved pews come from the abolished Dominican monastery (which once stood on the site of the present-time Boskovice chateau). The churchyard was used for burials (of only prominent citizens and manorial officials) till 1786, remains of the churchyard wall are still evident on the western side.

 
 

Sdružení historických sídel
Čech, Moravy a Slezska

Opletalova ulice 29
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

phone: +420 224 237 558
phone/fax: +420 224 213 166
mail: info@shscms.cz
www.shscms.cz
www.ehd.cz

Office hours:
Mo - Th: 8.00-16.00
Fr: 8.00-14.00

 
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022
load